Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Very Interesting Day


On Sunday Jim and I grove down to downtown Pensacola to have lunch, when we were driving by the pier on Palafox Street we saw this HUGE ship. We stopped and looked at it along with many others. We came home and looked it up on the internet. It is a derrick/pipe laying vessel. It has a lifting capacity of 1,200 tons, 400 tons deep water lowering system capacity, and is capable of operating in up to 3000 meters water depth.

Global 1200


Notice the size of the cars.


On Tuesday as I was stitching away on the couch I looked out at the water and saw a ship, using the telescope I could see it was this ship working away. It was located to the East of where I was and off to the left or West there was another ship. It looked like the cable laying ship we saw last year. It would certainly be interesting to see how many cables and pipes are under the Gulf.


As I stitch today there are no ships in sight, but I am sure they are out there just not close enough to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment